The information below is for 2019 and is only indicative of this academy program. The 2020 Academy Programs will be posted in Spring 2020, please check back at that time for specific date, applications and program details.
The Culinary World: the Farm to Table Experience
In the course of this week-long academy, you’ll learn about harvesting fresh produce, restaurant concepts, menu design, marketing, menu layout and culinary skills. You’ll spend part of the time at the Indian Valley Farm & Garden, and part of the time in the classroom learning about food operations. Here’s what you can expect:
- The framework of the academy will be centered around the culinary farm-to-table experience.
- Farm activities include harvesting fresh vegetables, preparation of harvested vegetables, seasonal menu planning, blind taste testing of farm fresh versus store bought.
- Culinary activities include basic culinary techniques and preparation of harvested vegetables.
- Student group work include concept development, marketing, restaurant concepts and signature menu item based on local seasonal availability.
- Guest speakers will share their culinary/hospitality expertise.
- Dates: 5 days, Monday, July 22 through Friday, July 26
- Time: 9am to 2pm
- Recommended for Grades: 9-12 (as of the 2018-19 school year)
- Location: Indian Valley Campus in Novato
- Cost: FREE
- Academies are for students who are in high school in Marin County; see recommended grade levels for each academy. This includes seniors who have just graduated.
- LIMITED SPACES AVAILABLE.
- For accepted applicants, attendance at one of the orientations on May 30 or June 1 is required. In addition, a Parent Consent (CCP) Form and an Intent to Participate Form will need to be completed and brought to the orientation. Supplemental forms for all academies will be emailed to students upon acceptance into the program.
- Questions? Call us at 415.457.8811 x8200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in starting your own restaurant or food business? Apply for BOTH the Culinary World Academy AND the Entrepreneur Academy.
About the Career Academies
- You may apply to (and be accepted to) more than one Career Academy.
- Cost: For all classes, TUITION IS WAIVED FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS! Other fees may apply. For any academies including college credits, graduated high school students must pay regular College of Marin tuition as well as any applicable fees.
- Location: Most classes are at College of Marin, Indian Valley Campus; see class descriptions for details.
- Program acceptance: You will be notified by email by Friday, May 10 if you have been accepted into the academies you have applied to.
- Orientation Requirement: You MUST be able to attend one of these mandatory orientations (if you are accepted into more than one Career Academy, you only need attend orientation once):
- Thursday, May 30, 6-7:30pm
- Saturday, June 1, 10-11:30am