The information below is for 2019 and is only indicative of this academy program. The 2020 Academy Programs will be posted in Spring 2020, please check back at that time for specific date, applications and program details.
SunPower Solar Energy Academy
Inspiring a New Generation of STEM Innovators
The solar energy academy is an immersive work-based learning experience. Students collaborate on teams as a solar start-up company designing a residential system. Through hands-on activities, field visits and lectures from solar professionals, students learn about project scope, design, financial and environmental economics leading the industry.
The internship culminates on the final day of the academy, when student teams deliver their high-quality presentations to school officials, community members and family. By closing, students will be prepared to speak confidently about their residential solar projects and renewable energy careers.
Academy Highlights include:
- 40 hours of solar work-based learning
- 100% free – no cost to students
- Lunch and materials included
- Learn to sell and design a residential solar electric system
- Participate in a field trip to a local green organization
- Listen to lectures by industry professionals
- Earn a certificate of achievement
The academy helps participants put NGSS in action, providing a venue to master solar-focused content while developing work-ready skills. Students are trained to work in groups, problem solve collaboratively, delegate tasks, create a professional presentation and present to a large public audience. Both students and teachers gain valuable experience applying STEM disciplines to professional projects.
College of Marin hosts this academy in partnership with SunPower Corporation and the Northern California Career Pathway Alliance and the Marin County Office of Education. For questions see the NCCPA website or contact SunPower.
- Dates: 5 days: Monday, June 24 through Friday, June 28
- Times: 8:30am-to 4:30pm
- Recommended for Grades: 10-12 (as of the 2018-19 school year)
- Location: Indian Valley Campus in Novato
- Cost: Free
|Day One||Solar Basics|
|Day Two||Renewables and Sustainability|
|Day Three||Exploration and Economics|
|Day Four||Careers and Opportunities|
|Day Five||Final Presentations|
- Academies are for students who are in high school in Marin County; see recommended grade levels for each academy. This includes seniors who have just graduated.
- LIMITED SPACES AVAILABLE.
- For accepted applicants, attendance at one of the orientations on May 30 or June 1 is required. In addition, a Parent Consent (CCP) Form and an Intent to Participate Form will need to be completed and brought to the orientation. Supplemental forms for all academies will be emailed to students upon acceptance into the program.
- Questions? Call us at 415.457.8811 x8200 or email email@example.com.
SunPower Corporation, in partnership with the Northern California Career Pathways Alliance, Marin County Office of Education, and College of Marin is providing a 5-day summer internship experience for select high school students. Participants will gain an in-depth knowledge of residential photovoltaic system design and finance.
About the Career Academies
- You may apply to (and be accepted to) more than one Career Academy.
- Cost: For all classes, TUITION IS WAIVED FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS! Other fees may apply. For any academies including college credits, graduated high school students must pay regular College of Marin tuition as well as any applicable fees.
- Location: Most classes are at College of Marin, Indian Valley Campus; see class descriptions for details.
- Program acceptance: You will be notified by email by Friday, May 10 if you have been accepted into the academies you have applied to.
- Orientation Requirement: You MUST be able to attend one of these mandatory orientations (if you are accepted into more than one Career Academy, you only need attend orientation once):
- Thursday, May 30, 6-7:30pm
- Saturday, June 1, 10-11:30am