Industry Certifications and Work Experience for Career Education
Career education is all about getting you ready for your career and boosting your skills to improve your prospects. That’s why College of Marin offers a number of industry certifications to enhance our programs.
Scroll down to learn more about these programs:
* QuickBooks Certification – New!
* Clean Energy Training, Coaching & Support – New!
* Construction Skills
* Auto Technology – Electronic Instruments
* CompTIA A+ – Cyber Security
* MS Office Certifications – Certiport Testing
* Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
* Real Estate – CalBRE
NEW! QuickBooks Certification
QuickBooks Certification is a completely new level of training and expertise that sets you up to thrive in your career. Certify in QuickBooks so your clients have an expert to trust. Certification will demonstrate your bookkeeping abilities.
Intuit QuickBooks Certification is an industry-recognized credential that validates your proficiency in the Intuit QuickBooks accounting software.
Free QuickBooks certification exam upon completion of BUS 115 Applied Computer Accounting.
What to do:
1. Apply Now! https://www1.marin.edu/apply
2. Register and pass the required College of Marin class BUS 115 – Applied Computer Accounting
3. Take the FREE QuickBooks certification exam upon completion of BUS 115 Applied Computer Accounting
For Program Information Contact: Lance Barthelemy
Certification Program Director
For BUS 115 Information Contact: Mike Cairns
Business & Accounting Instructor email@example.com
For General Accounting Contact: Christine Li
Business & Accounting Instructor firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW! Clean Energy Training Program
What to do:
* Take COM class in energy fundamentals (ELEC 120A) Spring 2022
* Get on-the-job training while taking course
* Get specialized training Energy Efficiency
* Receive coaching to create resume and cover letter
* Apply for position and interview with potential employer
* Receive pay, liability & worker’s comp insurance coverage, and ongoing career coaching support
* Thrive in a high-wage, high-growth green career!
* Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning technician Electrical technician
* Plumber assistant/technician
* Contractor administrative/office staff/sales Contractor project management
* Insulation technician
* High performance construction, building envelope construction Lighting technician
* General contractor
College of Marin Counseling and Student Services
Construction Skills Certificate Program
Canal Alliance in conjunction with the College of Marin and the Marin Builders Association offers a Construction Skills Certificate Program for the community wishing to enter the construction industry. The training is offered twice a year and lasts 12 weeks. Classes are during accessible times in the afternoons/evenings and on weekends. If you are interested in registering or receiving more information, please click here.
Auto Technology/Electronic Instruments
Earn 3 Certifications with one class: Multimeter, Automotive Scanner Diagnostics Certification, and Mechanical and Electronic Torque Instrument Certification in conjunction with Snap-On Tools:
* Take AUTO 139J – Electronic Instrument Certification – 3 units
* Certification Information:
* Multimeter Certification – Become a power user of digital multimeters. Learn how to perform the initial safety and reliability checks on you meter and effectively utilize 90% of all available features. Download Snap-on Multimeter pdf for more details
* Automotive Scanner Diagnostics Certification – Today’s vehicles require computerized diagnostics to properly identify problems. Become adept at working with automotive scanner controls, with troubleshooting techniques. Download Snap-on Scanner pdf for more details
* Mechanical and Electronic Torque Instrument Certification – Develop thorough knowledge of torque theory and master the complexities of proper tightening of fasteners. Download Snap-on Torque pdf for more details
Visit the Automotive Technology program page and the Electronics Technology program page for more educational information.
Computer Information Systems – Cyber Security
Cisco CompTIA A+ Certification
* Take CIS 120 IT Essentials (4 units, estimated cost: $210 in tuition and fees; $10 in books & supplies).
* Cisco Level 1 exam available thru College of Marin.
Completing your CompTIA A+ certification is excellent for helpdesk and higher positions, including entry-level networking career opportunities.
Questions? Call Instructors, Ed Essick or Yvonne Ortiz at (415) 457-8811 x7610
View the College of Marin Computer Information Systems program page.
Certiport Testing - MS Office and Adobe Certification
College of Marin has been named as a Certiport Authorized Testing Center and will offer the globally-recognized certification exams for Adobe, Microsoft and other high-demand certifications to students in the Multimedia Studies and Computer Information Systems programs. College of Marin is currently the only Certiport Authorized Testing Center in Marin County, and as a private testing center it is available exclusively to College of Marin students and staff.
Offering the Certiport exams at no cost to enrolled students provides an added bonus to standard college credentials; Certiport exams normally cost $150 for the first attempt, and $95 for any additional attempts.
Students interested in learning more about these and other professional certifications currently available at College of Marin should contact the Computer Information Systems Department at (415) 457-8811 x8205.
MS Office Specialist Certification
Students who successfully complete the coursework in a MS Office application will have the opportunity to take the corresponding MS Office Specialist certification exam for FREE. Students will also have the opportunity to take advantage of a free GMetrix subscription for 1 year. The GMetrix exam preparation is an interactive software application that allows the student to prepare at their own pace for up to a year.
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: Word
* CIS 102 Beginning Word - 1.5 units
* CIS 103 Intermediate Word - 1.5 units
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: Access
* CIS 117 Introduction to MS Access Database Design - 1.5 units
* CIS 127 Intermediate MS Access Database Design - 1.5 units
* CIS 137 Advanced MS Access Database Design - 1.5 units
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: Excel
* CIS 118 Introduction to MS Excel Spreadsheet Design - 1.5 units
* CIS 128 Intermediate MS Excel Spreadsheet Design - 1.5 units
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam: PowerPoint
* CIS 113 MS PowerPoint - 1.5 units
Certiport Exams from Home information:
Certiport Exams from Home training video:
Certiport Home Page: For more information about Certiport or the Certification Exams you can visit https://certiport.pearsonvue.com
Questions regarding College of Marin Certiport course offerings? Please contact Lance Barthelemy at email@example.com or call (415) 457-8811 x7603
Emergency Medical Technician (Fire Technology)
College of Marin is a state-approved agency to provide Emergency Medical Services (EMS) training.
College of Marin prepares you to take the exam, but does not administer the exam. The exam is administered by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. To learn more about the NREMT exam, see www.nremt.org
College of Marin also offers continuing education (CE) courses for those who need to recertify.
See the Fire Technology program page for full details about the courses we offer and re-certification requirements.
College of Marin prepares you to take the California Real Estate exam, as administered by the California Bureau of Real Estate (CALBRE). College of Marin does not administer this exam; see the CALBRE website for full exam details.
The Real Estate courses are grouped around preparation for CALBRE licensing for salesperson or broker examination:
* Each of the Skills Certificates will qualify you to take the Salesperson Exam (meet licensing educational requirements). All include REAL 115 Real Estate Practice and REAL 116 Real Estate Principles. You must also take a third class, and you can choose which one you take depending on your career interests. Other requirements apply; see the CALBRE page for salesperson license.
* The Certificate of Achievement and Associate Degree plus two additional courses (chosen from a list of options) will meet the educational requirements for the Real Estate Broker Exam (meet licensing educational requirements). For full details and to see all requirements; see the CALBRE page for brokers license.
To view College of Marin real estate education options, see the Real Estate program page.