College of Marin recently earned the California Community College’s Strong Workforce Stars recognition, at both the silver and bronze star levels, recognizing success in helping students reach new heights in earning power and social mobility.
The awards are based on following the outcomes of students who were last enrolled in 2015-16.
COM’s silver star award-winning programs include all three health care occupations with students/graduates achieving notable successes:
- Medical Assisting: 100% are employed in a job similar to their field of study, with 129% increase in earnings
- Registered Nursing: 76% attained the regional living wage and 90% are employed in a job similar to their field of study
- Dental Assisting: 91% of students attained the regional living wage, with 164% increase in earnings
COM’s bronze star award-winning programs include:
- Automotive Technology: 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study
- Business and Commerce: 62% increase in earnings
- Accounting: 70% increase in earnings
- Business Administration: 93% increase in earnings
- Multimedia: 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study
- Administration of Justice: 139% increase in earnings
- Court Reporting: 301% increase in earnings
Strong Workforce Stars is an annual recognition for career education programs, also known as career technical education, that debuted in 2017 within the California Community Colleges system. It highlights programs whose graduates show significant gains in factors important for advancing social mobility – a substantial increase in earnings, attainment of a living wage and a job closely matched with the field of study.