Career Academies and College Classes
Get Ready for Career Academies!
* Courses will be available for the general public beginning May 15
* All courses are online and most offer college credit.
High School Students:
* The applications for high school students to attend the academies closed on May 1st.
* For those accepted, mandatory orientation will be May 18, 5 – 6:30 p.m. or May 22, 11 – 12:30 p.m. Please attend one of these sessions.
* For all related questions write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 491-6692.
To be placed on our mailing list for new announcements, write to email@example.com.
2021 Career Academies
June 21—July 1
Career Exploration – COUN 131 (CRN 60853)
Delve into understanding your unique skills and how to use them to pursue your career interests. This course includes exploration in Health Occupations. 1 college unit. M–Th, 11–1 pm COUN 131 (CRN 60853)
Education and Social Justice Careers – COUN 131 (CRN 60854)
Explore an array of meaningful jobs that enhance the community and world: education, social change and equality for vulnerable and marginalized populations. 1 college unit. M–Th, 11–1 pm
Building Academy: Architecture, Engineering and Construction – COUN 131 (CRN 60855)
Get up-close and personal with careers in planning, architecture, landscape architecture, engineering and construction/project management. 1 college unit. M–Th, 11–1 pm
NO CLASSES THE WEEK OF JULY 5
July 12—July 22
Public Service and Safety Careers – COUN 131 (CRN 60911)
Learn about exciting careers involving emergency response, law, policing and fire technology. 1 college unit. M–Th, 11–1pm
Entrepreneur Academy – BUS 127 (CRN 60809)
Curious about starting and running your own business? Learn how to turn your business idea into reality. 1.5 college units. M-Th, 2:30–5 pm
CyberCamps, Competitions and Pathways
Explore cybersecurity and learn how to secure networks from hackers! June 14–July 19, new classes start each week. Sign up for Introductory, Intermediate or Advanced levels. No college credits offered.
CLICK HERE to register for CyberCamps.
Virtual Job Shadow Program – Healthcare Careers – for High School students
Join us for a guided online exploration of potential careers with access to over 1,000 job shadowing and career advice videos. Watch as camera crews go behind the scenes with real professionals in actual jobs and provide an in-depth look at workforce realities.
Live Zoom meetings will help guide you through the Virtual Job Shadow activities and Healthcare professionals will join us each week as guest speakers to share their career paths and provide local career advice. Each session will consist of a one-hour lesson, followed by one-hour guest speaker session. July 12-23 (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 11 – 1 p.m.)
Learn more here: https://www.marinschools.org/Page/7030
Apply here: http://bit.ly/MarinVJS-HC
Did you know that College of Marin offers full semester courses for high school students?
- Credit classes are available to high school students in Marin County each semester: Spring, Summer, and Fall. High school students can enroll and earn college credit.
- COM covers the enrollment fees, normally $46/unit for current high school students (e.g. does not apply to high school students once they have graduated). High school students can enroll in up to 11 units—a savings of $506 per semester!
- Students are responsible only for fees, including: mandatory health fee ($20); mandatory transportation fee ($3/unit); cost of books or materials may apply, depending on the classes taken; optional student fees normally charged may be waived with waiver request form.